REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Portion, prepare and assemble all cold food items, salads, cold appetizers and hot and cold desserts offered in the restaurant. Accomplishes all food preparation, cooking methods, procedures and timing to ensure that all food products meet the specifications and quality standards of Ruth’s Chris Steak House (“RCSH”).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Reports to work on time and is on the pantry station as indicated on the work schedule. Uniform meets restaurant requirements and is maintained and clean. Practices positive personal hygiene and cleanliness habits during all work shifts.
2. Sets-up the pantry station to include all cold food items, preparation equipment, smallwares, plateware, food ingredients, garnishes and supply items needed for effective operation of the station. Follows the Pantry Station Prep List for station set-up and stocking. Reports any problems or discrepancies to the Chef on a timely basis.
3. Assists other kitchen personnel in food preparation and sidework as assigned by the Chef. Preps all food product according to the standards and procedures stated on the RCSH’s recipe cards.
4. Preps and cooks all food to ensure that all items are prepared according to company specifications, recipes, procedures, plate presentation and quality standards. Ensures our guests have a superior dining experience by correctly timing and preparing all food product.
5. Checks, prior to the start of the shift, the par and stock levels of all salad ingredients, cold appetizers, dessert items, condiments, garnishes, equipment, chilled plates and other service plateware and smallwares to ensure sufficient quantity for the demands of the business. Maintains sufficient back-up par levels. Communicates any discrepancies to the Chef.
6. Correctly prepares vegetables for salads; portions and plates salads and desserts and ensures that all food is prepared and served up to RCSH standards of quality, presentation and timing.
7. Communicates and coordinates with the food runners and expeditor to ensure that all food product is prepared and ready for service at the correct time.
8. Rotates and restocks all pantry food items, condiments, plateware, smallwares, equipment and supplies throughout the shift to ensure sufficient stock and back-up levels for the demands of the business.
9. Maintains the highest degree of sanitation, cleanliness and food safety for work area to include counter tops, refrigeration units, floors, walls and shelving.
10. Accomplishes all job duties while adhering to all safety guidelines and practices throughout the shift. Immediately reports any unsafe condition or unsafe act, accidents and/or injuries to the Chef.
11. Correctly completes all station closing duties at the end of each shift. Assists Chef on Duty and kitchen personnel in accomplishing closing duties and kitchen cleanliness.
12. Additional duties as assigned.
• Must be able to lift, handle, carry food, smallwares, equipment, supplies and paper goods at a minimum of 50 pounds
• Must be able to constantly stand and exert well-paced mobility for a period up to eight hours in length
• Must be able to bend, kneel, stoop, reach and squat on a frequent basis
• Must be able to taste, to be able to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperatures, mouth feel and smell to distinguish between and among odors and scents as to their appeal and level of intensity for all food and beverage products
• Must be able to work in an environment subject to extreme cold 30 degrees, heat temperatures above 100 degrees, loud noises from restaurant equipment and machinery, and fumes, odors, dust and smoke
• The use of cut gloves as that is a company requirement for all BOH personnel for safety
• Maintains good grooming habits
• Minimum 6 months experience as a pantry or salad cook in a full service, fine dining upscale, table cloth or casual dining restaurant required
• Experience with fresh products preferred
• Minimum 100 covers per shift
• Must be able to communicate effectively and listen attentively to supervisors, other team members, vendors and guests
• Ability to understand communication in English
• Position may require work on nights, weekends, and holidays