All Ruth’s Hospitality Group Team Members are expected to demonstrate the values and behaviors outlined in The Sizzle. For this reason, the job description that follows outlines the essential duties and responsibilities required to fulfill the primary requirements of Payroll Specialist. All Team Members should understand that additional requirements, tasks, activities and efforts will regularly be required of Team Members so that we can support the Ruth’s Hospitality Group restaurants and the Team Members who work in them.
The primary duty of the payroll specialist is to be accountable and responsible for all aspects of quality service for the company payroll. Contacts and assists restaurants/departments in process of obtaining information for payroll production and tax related issues; verifies totals, responds to/resolves questions and problems and delivers quality customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Process weekly and/or bi-weekly payroll ensuring the timely and accurate computation and payment of earnings
- Ensure payrolls are processed in accordance with legal, regulatory and business requirements with the highest level of integrity paid to internal controls
- Payment of bonuses ensuring adherence to correct and best practice for compliance
- Review the downloaded time and attendance information for completeness and accuracy.
- Process Taxable Fringe benefit payments, such as gift cards and incentives, ensuring compliance to procedure and calculations in accordance with RHGI policy and IRS reporting regulations
- Maintain payroll system, including, but not limited to new hire profile setup, employee changes, local taxes, timekeeping, direct deposit setup, benefit setup, terminations, vacation/sick time, and garnishment processing
- Compile/report on payroll data such as vacation/sick time,
- Ensure that an exceptional level of both internal and external customer service and responsiveness is maintained
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of payroll requirements and best practices and continually reassess RHGI compliance with them
- Maintain records of all payroll transactions, tax filings and interactions with employees and manager. Ensure overall record maintenance is consistent and complies with IRS and Federal / Local record retention guidelines – electronically wherever possible.
- Assist as necessary with reconciliations of various payroll related GL accounts and ensure the timely resolution of reconciling items / All items of transfer to Accounting
- Prepare, review and reconcile required weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and annual reports
- Pull internal management reports as well as required employment reports to different state agencies from Cognos software or Payroll System.
- Develop and deliver ad-hoc (Cognos) payroll reports as needed -
- Assist with Annual Year End processing and compliance
- Develop and implement process improvements. Make recommendations to management as necessary
- Assist with various audits as necessary
- Assist with other projects as needed: training sessions, implementation of new tools, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Solid understanding of payroll and payroll tax laws
- Solid UltiPro HRMS system experience preferred + Cognos reporting experience
- TMX/MICROS or time keeping systems experience/knowledge
- Working knowledge of Accounting
- Advanced Excel skills a plus (create and apply filters, table value lookups and pivot tables)
- Proficiency in Word
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Organize and write procedures in a logical/methodical manner
- Good time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Work well in a team environment
- Able to maintain confidential information
PERSONAL & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Strong self-starter, takes appropriate initiative
- Team player, partners and works effectively with HR/Accounting team and Management
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task with demanding deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Detail oriented, focused with rigor to ensure accuracy
- Continuous improvement and change management
- Flexible, can manage multiple deadlines and set/re-align priorities as needed
- Strong analytical skills
- Impeccable professionalism providing Confidentiality
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's degree (A.A) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school or two or more
years related experience and/or training: or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-4 years minimum of payroll experience required.